Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Will is "so excited!!!"

We shared our exciting news with the kids last weekend. I so wish I'd had a recorder to capture all of Will's reactions. I'll do my best to record them here. In a nutshell, he's thrilled. His enthusiasm just brings us such joy.

First, Elle's reaction.
K: Elle, do you think it would be fun to have a new baby at our house?
E: Yeah
K: Will you be a big helper with the new baby?
E: Yep...I go play now.

Very age-appropriate response, I think.


Will's first reaction was literally jumping with his fists in the air and saying over and over "I'm so excited!"
Then the questions started. And they lasted a good 30-45 minutes. Probably would have lasted longer, but it was bedtime, at which point he asked, "Mom, can we skip reading a chapter tonight and just take turns asking questions about the baby? Me first, then you. We'll take turns." And so we did. :)

He initially indicated he wanted a brother, but that quickly faded and the baby has been "she" ever since.
W: Girl babies are so cute, mom! I bet she will be so cute. Can I hold her, mom? But what if I drop her? That would not be very good.

W: When will the baby's birthday be?
K: Sometime near Valentine's Day. We don't know for sure - it will be surprise.
W: But, mom, if we don't know when the baby's birthday will be, how do we get cake?

W: How do they get her out of your tummy? (I explained a c-section in 4-year-old terms)
W: Where will she sleep in the hospital? (after explaining there were baby beds at the hospital) I think the girl beds will have flowers and the boy beds will have polka dots.
W: Can we come see you when you're in the hospital?

 I explained that in a few weeks, he might be able to feel the baby kicking in my tummy. It could be the baby kicking, or the baby's hand, or even the baby's head.
W: The baby's head?! That would be crazy.
The next day when I was picking him up from school he put his hand on my belly and said, "Mom, I think I feel her. I think it was her head."

W: Mom, what can I help with for the baby? (I gave him plenty of ideas).
W: Mom, can I tickle her toes?
W: Mom, where will the baby take a bath?
W: Mom, we need to get her some PJ's. And some baby food. We have a lot to do to get ready for the baby. I need to check Jason's list to get everything we need. (Glad to know the imaginary friend has a checklist for babies.)

Will's name suggestions:
For a boy  - How about Pauly? Or maybe Sonny? (seriously - doesn't he know we're not Italian?!) Or how about Rock Star? (now, that's a winner)
For a girl - I like Anna. Or Madeline. (very sensible - what's the disconnect with boy names?)

He, of course, told everyone at school all about the baby in mommy's tummy. He has proceeded to ask me just about every day how big the baby is now. To which he replies, "oh, that's not very big".

We'll have months more filled with questions and a lifetime filled with entertainment from these three. Loving it already.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that's adorable! Will is SO excited! Yay! That makes it even more fun doesn't it?? (if that's even possible!) I hope he stays that excited once your baby arrives! :)

    ReplyDelete