Monday, November 1, 2010

Put him in the choir

Saturday evening Will and I went to mass. He enjoys going without Ellie Kate because we get to be in "the big church" instead of the cry room. We were nearly done with mass and he had done a good job. The choir started singing the second communion hymn. This was not included on our song sheet, they were singing a capella, think full church of quietly kneeling parishioners listening to the song. Instantly, Will lights up. He recognizes the song. It is one Justin sings him at bed time. Naturally, he knows all the words to the refrain, so he starts singing along...growing louder and louder. I try to quiet him down a bit to no avail. I'm now giggling quite uncontrollably, tears running down my face at my adorable 4-year-old belting out "Lord, pre-paaare me to be a sanct-uuuu-aaaaryyyyy, pure and hooooooly, tried and true-ew-ew-ew..." I peek up to see 2 women all the way across the pew about 5 rows up turned around watching us and smiling. I had thought it was only the couple of pews around that could hear. No such luck. After mass, no fewer than 4 people came up to us to comment on his wonderful singing. Will couldn't quite figure out why everyone was talking to him. He was just excited to tell Daddy he heard "Sanctuary". As we're in the parking lot walking to the car, I hear an elderly gentleman a ways behind us, "Did you hear that little boy just singing his heart out in there? That was great!" Truly a parenting moment I won't forget. So proud and so mortified all at the same time.

On the way home, I was grinning as I replayed the scenario in my head. I told Will he made my heart smile. To which he replied, "thanks, Mom, you make my tummy smile."

1 comment:

  1. That is so adorable. I can just picture you will tears rolling down your face laughing.

    ReplyDelete