On the way home from school today, Ellie Kate says, "when I grow up, I'm going to be a princess. And a fairy. A real-life fairy so I can fly around for real. And I'm going to be a mom, and a teacher, and a helper like you when I grow up, mom. And, mom, do you want to be an artist with me when I grow up?"
Me: "Sure, I'll be an artist with you. And wow! You have a lot of choices for what you can be when you grow up! You can be a princess or a fairy or a mom or a teacher or a helper or an artist."
EK: "no, mom, I'm going to be all of them."
I smile. Of course she is.
Me: "Will, what do you want to be when you grow up?"
W: "a football player."
No "ands" from Will.
Insert social commentary here.
This really struck me. Of course, Ellie has a list of things she wants to be and fully thinks she can be them all. She sees it every day. I believe that Will, like most men, will develop and operate in multiple roles. But it is really fascinating to me how this develops. Is it natural for EK to see herself with multiple "jobs"? Will has expressed an interest in being other things when he grows up, but his process involves "ors" not "ands" or are sequential (I'll be a football player, then an author, etc.). I know I'm reading a lot into this small interaction. But I see it in other ways they play. Nature or nurture, I don't know. It is certainly fascinating.
In related news, reading Lean In is on my to-do list. Unfortunately, being a mom, assistant dean, mentor, wife, homeowner, and friend have kept me too busy to do so. Hopefully I can be a reader again soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment