Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sometimes when you have 3 small children...

Mornings are really hectic.
And you inadvertently lock your dog in the closet.
All day.
And when you get home from work, you can't find him.
Anywhere.
You search the house, scour the backyard, all with 3 kids looking on.
You finally text your wife, "I can't find Botchie".
"What do you mean you can't find Botchie?!?!"
And both adults' adrenaline is through the roof.
And you start thinking about how you're going to explain this to your kids.
Where on earth could this crazy (and I mean that in the clinical sense) dog be?!
The gates are locked. It's 4 degrees outside. He hates the cold. He hates people. He wouldn't run away. But he has no tags on because he's an inside dog. He has a doggy door, but otherwise he's in bed. How could this have happened?!
Finally, both adults are home, greeted by the oldest two children, "Mom, we have really sad news! We can't find Botchie. I'm so sad! I just want to pet him....I miss Botchie....I'm going to tell my teacher about this tomorrow." (Bear in mind, most days these kids ignore Botchie.)
You've called Animal Control. You've called the local shelter. Now that someone else is here you go to the neighbor's house.
Meanwhile, your wife is double checking all over the house...behind every closed door, logical or not. "Kids, check your rooms again. Check your closets."
And then it happens.
"Mom, I found him!!!" shrieks Ellie.
And Botchie emerges, seeming no worse for the wear, though a bit more glittery. As, of course, you would expect after spending the day locked in the closet of a three-year-old girl.
Yes, this is what happens sometimes when you have 3 small children.
It happened today. At our house.
And I'm typing this with my dog cuddled next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment