We were lucky to all be a part of Justin's sister's wedding last weekend! Of course, I was a horrible photographer and took very few photos. That's what professionals are for, right?
Will was a ring bearer, Ellie Kate was a flower girl, Justin was a groomsman, and I was a bridesmaid. In hindsight, it would have been good for me to have someone take a picture of the 4 of us together. In reality, I'm not sure the 4 of us were ever all happy and in the same place at the same time!
Both kids made it down the aisle just fine. Well, Elle was crying when Justin went down without her, regained her composure, then lost it again when I went down without her. Thankfully my niece dragged her out when it was time to go. Once E saw me, she was happy to walk down the aisle toward me. Will did great coming down the aisle, and looked so handsome in his tux. The grand plan was for the kids to sit with my mom during the ceremony. That lasted all of about 2 seconds. EK was quickly up with me, where I held her for much of the ceremony. (Warm weather, outside wedding, holding a little girl in a poufy dress = awesome wrinkles and sweat marks on a bridesmaid's dress.) EK babbled (though not terribly loud all the time) throughout the ceremony -- even saying "CHEESE" for the photographer trying to capture the bride & groom. At one point, she got down and threw the flower petals from her basket (since she didn't do it on the way down the aisle). When she realized her basket was empty, she just threw it too. It's a wonder anyone was able to pay attention to the ceremony! She was such a distraction!!
Will has grown quite fond of his sister and has a great sense of comfort when he's with her. So, when she came up with me, his anxiety level rose dramatically. Combine this with no nap, being overwhelmed by walking down the aisle in front of all these strangers, and you get a very emotional little boy who ended up standing next to his dad through the ceremony. Periodically, I would hear him trying to stifle sobs. I was waiting for Jenny to ask us to leave. I felt like we were such distractions! Thankfully, she did not ask us to leave, and actually still thinks our kids are great. I guess that's what aunts are for, right?!
Once the wedding was over, both kids were happy campers - running all over and entertaining plenty. They couldn't stay as late as the dance, so they just had their own - on the dance floor, with no music, while others ate dinner. What a proud mother I was. Blessedly, my mom took them home about 8 and J&I were able to enjoy a lovely evening without much more embarrassment.
Will claims he had a great time at Aunt Jenny's wedding, which I guess is all that matters. He even told my mom that he was going to wear his tuxedo the next weekend, too....to Jason & Kathy's wedding. Welcome back, imaginary friends!
Thursday, June 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment